Thursday, May 19, 2011

a good day

Way to go, ovaries! I am once again thankful for this body that I have, and ever so grateful that our only real IF issue on my side of the equation is AMA. Tuesday's E2 was 3339. My lining was at 14.6mm. And they reported "more than ten" sizeable follicles on each ovary. Today, they retrieved 28 eggs- a comfortable number. The risk of OHSS is less threatening than last time (E2 of 3970 and 40 eggs retrieved) and no one even mentioned the possibility of "freeze all." Knowing that there's a trade-off between quantity and quality, I'm actually happier with 28 than I would have been with a higher number.

The retrieval itself went well. My veins have suddenly become difficult, though, so it took a couple of tries to get the IV started. The nurse actually gave up after one failed attempt and asked the anesthesiologist to do it. I really appreciated the warning that I'd feel the anesthesia entering my vein with a hand IV. I did, and it was very uncomfortable, but knowing what it was made all the difference.

Pain this time was manageable. It peaked at about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, but didn't remain there long. I knew from experience that heat helps immensely, so I requested a heating pad as soon as I woke up. I also learned last time that a lot of the discomfort could be alleviated by consciously relaxing my abdomen. I hurt so much in 2009 that I tensed up, afraid to move lest something exacerbate the pain. This time, I took a deep breath and then let go. The only bad moments come when I pee- it feels like a full bladder holds everything in one position, and when it's emptied everything shifts around in the freed-up space.

A new development in the ART department of the hospital... if there are few growing embryos and it looks like they'll transfer all of them, they do 2-day transfers. Otherwise, they'll do a 3-day. I'll get the call tomorrow with a fertilization report and will learn then whether our ET will be Saturday or Sunday. My fingers are crossed for Sunday, but as long as we have something to transfer, I'm happy.

1 comment:

  1. You have some over-achieving ovaries! 40 and now 28? And I thought 21 eggs was good, and I was just 28. Way to go! I hope you hear a great fert report tomorrow! C'mon Sunday ET!

    ReplyDelete